Sunday, January 30, 2011
Saturday, January 29, 2011
- The Kaulins family went to the Baoli Carrefour on Saturday evening. Tony's mother said this was because Tony wanted to go downtown to see Daddy!
- Tony was interested in the live fish at Carrefour.
- Tony can say Happy New Year in English and Chinese.
- Tony 会说中文的和英文的“新年快乐”
- Once home from shopping on Saturday evening, Tony was very affectionate and clingy. At bedtime, he didn't want to be left alone in bed. He had to have either his mother or his father with him. And he was happy to fall asleep in either his father's or his mother's arm.
Friday, January 28, 2011
- It is a wrestling match every night at bedtime between TKIC and AKIC. AKIC wants to go to sleep, but TKIC wants to jump up and down on his father.
- TKIC, in AKIC's opinion, spends too much time watching television during the day.
- This is the latest TKIC video on www.youku.com.
- Tony reports to his mom that his father hurt him. Father is assumed guilty without a trial.
- TKIC can go into a kitchen drawer and find the chocolate which JKIC has hidden from AKIC.
Thursday, January 27, 2011
- Friday is the first day of Tony's Spring Festival Holiday. He won't go back to kindergarten till March. What plans does he have? None that his father knows of. Tony currently lives for the moment.
- Thursday evening bedtime, Tony wouldn't lie still and sleep -- he was jumping on and pinching his father who was trying to sleep.
- Thursday evening, Tony's father arrives home from work. Tony meets him at the door with his train in his hand. Tony shakes the train because he wants his father to fix it.
- Tony is best in his English class but worst in his Chinese class. The good English comes from living with his father of course. The poor Chinese can be attributed to his being the youngest in his class.
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Monday, January 24, 2011
Sunday, January 23, 2011
Four Tonys made the top twenty Mafia Bust nickname list:
- ANTHONY CAVEZZA, also known as "Tony Bagels"
- ANTHINO RUSSO, also known as "Hootie"
- ANTHONY DURSO, also known as "Baby Fat Larry" and "BFL"
- ANTHONY LICATA, also known as "Cheeks," "Anthony Firehawk," "Anthony Nighthawk," "Nighthawk" and "Firehawk"
Let's try these nicknames on Anthony Arnis Peng Kaulins:
- Tony "Bagels" Kaulins
- Tony "Hootie" Kaulins
- Baby Fat Larry Kaulins. BFL Kaulins. (There is something to be said for that nickname. If you look at recent photos of AAPK, he has a little chubbiness.)
- Tony "Cheeks" Kaulins
- Anthony "Firehawk" Kaulins
- Anthony "Nighthawk" Kaulins
The cool thing that 41 month old Tony can do now is the Happy Dance. He shouts "Happy Dance!", and then dances happily, bouncing left and right on the balls of his feet. I should take a video of this. He has learned the dance from watching this learn English cartoon DVD. The character that does the Happy Dance is nude. but has a lot of facial and body hair.
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Friday, January 21, 2011
Thursday, January 20, 2011
- Tony went to Kindergarten today. There was no overnight dump of slush so it was a mighty fine day for kindergartening.
- Tony can clap, in time, when his father sings the song "If you're happy and you know it..."
- Dad and Mom cannot yet get Tony to say "I'm a good boy!"
- Tony likes cheese. In fact, he will grab his father by hand, and take him to the fridge to get the cheese which is in a high compartment.
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Monday, January 17, 2011
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Saturday, January 15, 2011
Tony behaves historically and exemplarily well at his father's school's 2011 Chinese New Year Dinner
Friday, January 14, 2011
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
- He said Beep! Beep!
- Tony likes his mother in the evening; and he likes his father in the morning. It is all about who he can cling to -- in the evening, he and his mom are huggy-huggy. In the morning, he likes his father because his mother makes him wash.
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Monday, January 10, 2011
Sunday, January 9, 2011
Saturday, January 8, 2011
Friday, January 7, 2011
Thursday, January 6, 2011
- Dad took Tony to the kindergarten van pickup spot Friday morning. Tony suddenly said "lai le" which in Chinese means "here it comes!". Dad had to strain his eyes to spot the van but eventually, he saw it in the distance. Dad was impressed with Tony's eyesight: "Good eyes! Tony!"
- Tony looked at a picture of himself, Mom, Dad, and Dad's parents taken in Canada. He pointed to his Dad's mom, and said "that's Grandma!".
- Funny how it is that Tony loves his mother at night, and his father in the morning.
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
- Tony can say: "Hello Daddy!" , "I love you Mommy", "Bao-Bao ai Mama!" , "Whatcha doing Daddy?", colors, numbers, "If you are happy and you know it", and so on.
- Tony opened the door to let in his father who was coming home from work. He said "Hello Daddy!" as he did so. Daddy loved this.
- Tony has, in the last week, developed a nasty habit of dumping the contents of his toy pail on the floor. As Andis said in a Youtube video, he is a master of chaos.
- Tony don't like wearing hats.
- Tony put a favorite toy of his in his mother's purse. His parents couldn't find this particular toy for two weeks as Tony had put the toy in a small change purse and then put it in his mom's purse. His mom actually witnessed Tony putting the coin purse in her purse, but she never thought that Tony was being sneaky -- she didn't know the toy was in the coin purse.
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Monday, January 3, 2011
Sunday, January 2, 2011
Saturday, January 1, 2011
- New Year's Eve, the family K was in bed by 1130 pm. Midnight passed without incident. AKIC had done his New Year's countdown and rendition of "Auld Lang Syne" at about 745 pm with students at an English Corner -- he worked till nine pm. Before lights out, Andis read some David Warren columns -- a divine way to end the year.
- Andis told the English Corner that the highlight of 2010 was watching Tony grow and develop. He also told them of the sadness he felt on the death of is Aunt Ritma and a man named Barry Botteril -- both unflappable characters.
- The K family slept in on January 1. AKIC had no hangover. His first conscious moments of 2011 saw him wrestle with Tony who entered 2011 in a combative mood. TKIC probably didn't like being kissed by his father who had a day's growth. Later AKIC and TKIC sang while in bed. TKIC can sing "If you're happy and you know it!".
- JKIC decided it was a good day to move furniture. It nearly resulted in a divorce. AKIC found JKIC's directives confusing which roused J's ire.
- All the while, Andis was able to do some surfing on the Internet. He was able to download the latest Radio Derb podcast.
- Tony said something about wanting to go outside. Jenny told him that he would have to wait till after lunch (noodles it was). Funny how after lunch, Tony changed his mind about going out. But J wanted the K boys out. She told AKIC to get some pineapple beer. AKIC agreed even though he was happy with the cache of Tsingtao beer that was already in Casa K.
- Exiting Casa K, AKIC formulated a plan to take the 610 bus to Qianzhou, buy a cola for Tony, and return to Yanqiao on the first available 610 bus. However, the wait for the 610 was long and when it did arrive, it was crowded. AKIC got on the bus but quickly decided to get off after one stop, mystifying the locals. AKIC reasoned that once a plan was determined to be bad, the best thing to do is to abandon the plan quickly as possible -- damn the gracelessness of doing so.
- The K boys got off at a stop near the Wu Culture Park which they decided to visit. They saw what had become the same old what-not: statues and supposed peasant farm implements. AKIC took three videos -- the first of the 2011 video-making year. Tony said the exact words "Happy New Year" during the videos. Andis said "Xin Nian Kuai Le" and "Shin Ninny Cole Slaw".
- The K boys then walked to downtown Yanqiao which was thankfully not so far away. (It should be said that Andis carried Tony to downtown Yanqiao). Along the way, they were cut-off by an ignorant driver make a quick turn with his SUV while not giving a damn for pedestrians. Andis pointed a middle-finger in the general direction of the SUV. So much for any thought of Christian forbearance in the face of rude behavior. Also, AKIC could only frown as a trio of locals said "hello" to the K boys. The trio followed the custom of saying "hello" to "laowai" in false stiletto "hello your foreign monkey" voices -- so much for AKIC's resolution of not thinking hostile thoughts and forgiving them because "they know not what they do!".
- To a supermarket, that JKIC regularly goes to, AKIC and TKIC went. The rationale for the trip there was for Andis to buy pineapple beer, and the plan was to then take a three-wheeled taxi back home. First, Andis and Tony played some games. Tony played some one-rmb toddler games and rode some one-rmb toddler rides; Andis shot baskets on another one-rmb machine -- Andis managed to get to the second level of the basketball game. Andis wondered if he would do better if he wasn't always was trying to make baskets with high-arced shots. Finished playing, the K boys found no pineapple beer.
- Adopt, Adapt, Improve. AKIC, finding no beer at the supermarket, decided to go to downtown Yanqiao's other supermarket to see if any could be acquired. Before going there, the K boys walked through the downtown where it was busy. Andis couldn't determine if this was because it was Saturday or because it was January 1. The goods to be acquired in the downtown, Andis noticed, were quite cheap and tawdry looking -- stuff for "country jakes", and would never be found in a "progressive's" neighborhood. AKIC, while carrying TKIC, was able to take some photos and video of the crowded Yanqiao open air market. He was stared at by a "country jake". He bought TKIC some cheap "Thomas" train toys. He saw and took photos of some "I fart in your general direction" sweat pants -- kids sized.
- At the second supermarket, AKIC found four cans of pineapple beer. However, Tony got into a snit because Andis wouldn't let him go to the the playground in the store. Andis and Tony fought over a bag of potato chips which Tony wanted to throw on the ground because of his snitfulness. Andis found that pretending to throw Tony to the ground was a good behavior modifier.
- Andis then was cheated when he bought some cooked sweet and sour chicken, and shrimp for supper back at Casa K. While this purchase was being made, Tony decided he had to pee. He dropped his pants near the counter, and peed with a long arch that blocked the path in front of the counter. All sorts of people then stepped in the resulting puddle of piss.
- Andis recalled how the morning of December 31st, on the way to school, one of the passengers was so sick that she vomited into the bus bucket for five minutes.
- After the being overcharged (while Tony peed a shaft of golden green) for food, Andis could at least rest assured that the three-wheeled taxi cab ride back to Casa K wasn't a scam -- five rmb and Andis had the pleasure of Tony falling asleep on his lap. Arriving at the entrance to building 52, Tony said he wanted to go to sleep -- an amazing admission from a guy whose first sentence was "bu yao qi chuang le".