Sunday, March 28, 2010

Maybe Tony doesn't like James Brown

Earlier, I said that there was a chance that Tony liked James Brown music -- James Brown being the King of Funk or Soul or whatever.   Anyway, I then exposed Tony to a few James Brown videos and all my son could say was "We will Rock You!".  So, he didn't go for it.  Whether that is a good thing or bad thing, can be argued till the cows come home, or the chickens come to roost and then go out again.  But, it is amazing nonetheless.

Just think.  In the old days, in Canada, if one would have wanted their child to see or hear some James Brown songs, you would have to gone by dog sled three hundred miles to the nearest thing resembling an urban metropolis to find a  recording -- and the chances are none would be available, so you would have to order the recording, return three hundred miles to your cold water shack, wait three months, and if the season was right, make another 500 kilometer trip (you missed your chance to vote against Trudeau) through mosquitoes or mud to the urban metropolis (somewhat), and hope the recording that your ordered had come in, and then return home again -- another three hundred mile trip -- pardon my unpatriotic use of miles.

But now, in China, all I have to do is journey the three meters (one yard) from the my living room to my computer, and locate a James Brown Video (thirty seconds), and expose it to my child.  

Remarkable.  And yet, how we so often take this for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment